Friday 10 January 2014

Gluten and Dairy Free Applesauce Muffins

I have to admit that I wasn't very good at Christmas. I ate a few things that I'm not supposed to, not many mind you, but I was wandering if I could re-introduced some types of food since I have been on this diet for nearly two years. Well, I am done experimenting for the time being...

I tried to go back to soya milk, mainly because of the cost, a 1 litre carton of hazelnut milk cost over €2 while I can buy 1 litre of soya milk for 85 cents. I was OK for the first day but I got extremely bloated after each meal afterwards. I stopped two days ago and I feel much better already.

I also had a few Brussels sprouts on Christmas day. Oh my, never again! Then to top it up I went out to dinner with friends. Of course the only thing that I could eat was salad and I decided to blow out and suffer later. It was two weeks later when I started to feel normal again.

Onion, garlic, dairy, cruciferous vegetables, peppers and gluten are the main problem foods for me. I also haven't eaten legumes in a year and a half.  Of course there are other foods that I avoid but I still feel that I haven't mastered this diet. I think it's time for me to do some  more research and update my list...

I am not sure if people on a Low FODMAP diet can tolerate applesauce but I can  have a couple of these muffins without any symptoms afterwards. But everyone is different...

I got this recipe from "the vanilla.COMpany" website. It's a socially conscious site dedicated to the promotion of pure, natural vanilla and the support of vanilla farmers worldwide and it's run by Patricia Rain, author of The Vanilla Cookbook.

I have to say this is the nicest muffins I've had in a long time. My son and my husband love them and they are very easy to make. The recipe is supposed to make 24 muffins but I think she means cupcakes because I only had enough dough for 12 muffins.

I omitted the pecans and the frosting and instead I sprinkle some granulated sugar on top of the muffins.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup gluten free flour
  • 1 cup ground almonds
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 cup sunflower oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped (optional)

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 12 muffin tin with paper cases. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside. Blend oil and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, applesauce and then the dry ingredients. Stir in nuts if using. Sprinkle the muffin tops with a little sugar and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.


www.meandmyibs2.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment