Friday 12 July 2013

Almond, lemon & rosemary cake

This gluten and dairy free cake is perfect for summer. And what summer are we having!!! I can't remember a summer this hot in the fifteen odd years that I have been living in Ireland. Not as hot as my native Spain but I wouldn't want their 40C thank you very much,  I'm very happy with 25C.
So, with the late warm nights, the hot, lazy siesta afternoons and the fact I'm wearing sandals (no socks in sight!!) I just had to bake something with a Mediterranean feel to it. Almonds, lemons, rosemary... Perfect.
I think this recipe came from a magazine but it's been in my recipe book for so many years I can't be sure.
Ingredients:
For the cake
- 200g ground almonds
- 200g white sugar
- 200ml olive oil
- 4 eggs
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 4  small sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
For the syrup
- juice of 2 large lemons
- same amount of water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
Method:
Preheat oven to 180C. Beat all the cake ingredients and pour into a 23cm round lined baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes until golden. To make the syrup, simmer all the ingredients over a low heat, until it thickened. Turn out the cake onto a cooling rack. I used a spring mould do I removed the outer ring but left the base on. Prick the cake all over with a skewer and pour syrup over it.


www.meandmyibs2.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment