Monday 9 July 2012

Low FODMAP Chicken Soup

How do you make your chicken soup? Everybody has their own way, some use chicken breast, some raw chicken carcass... I use the leftover bones from my chicken roast and it always turns out delicious.

I don't use any onion in my soup, I have read that you can wrap the onion in a muslin cloth and add it to the pot to get the flavour and as long as you don't eat it should be safe enough. I don't miss onions in my cooking, I use celery instead for flavour, which I didn't before I went onto the low FODMAP diet, and neither me nor my husband feel we are missing out on taste.  

Ingredients:
  • as many as possible leftover bones and carcass from your chicken roast
  • 1 potato
  • 2-3 carrots
  • 2-3 celery sticks
  • fresh thyme (optional)
  • water (enough to cover everything)
  • salt and pepper
Method:

You really don't need a lot of ingredients to make a lovely soup. Just peel and roughly chop your vegetables, add to a big saucepan with the carcass, herbs, water, salt and pepper. To really get the most out of the bones you have to let them simmer for a long time, I would say a minimum of two hours and depending on the quantity up to 3 hours. Simmer on a very low heat and check the water levels from time to time.

I like to scoop the bones out when the soup is done, add back the vegetables and then blend everything. You could have a clear soup and add cooked broken gluten free spaghetti or a few fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!

www.meandmyibs2.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment