Tuesday 31 July 2012

Dairy and Gluten Free Almond Loaf

Hi there! I have been away on holidays and I haven't been posting for a while.

One of the most difficult things about this diet is eating out but because I was staying with my parents I didn't have much trouble following it this time. My mum tried not to cook onions (bless her) and even made her famous courgette puree without dairy and used only olive oil. The times when I did get a bloated tummy I could pinpoint the culprit (a very garlicky alioli, a peach, ordinary cake...) What can I say,  I'm weak...

I have been on a low FODMAP diet for over six months now and I have to say it works. But you really have to stick to it. And that is difficult, especially because sometimes a slip up can take me a week to recover. It's not easy to go out to dinner or go to friend's houses and have little choice or no choice on your meal. What are you going to do? Not eat? Never go out again? Only have people over for dinner? Even if the friend who has invited you over is aware of your diet there will be something she/he will miss. There are so many things to consider, not just gluten or dairy. A friend of mine made her delicious Italian ragu and I brought my own gluten-free pasta. I don't know if it was the onions but my tummy just blew up and I had terrible cramps for the rest of the evening. I wish I could take a tablet before going out to ease the symptoms...

Anyway, here is the first cake I baked when I came back. It's delicious.

Ingredients:
  • 175ml sunflower oil
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp almond essence
  • 75g ground almonds
  • 175g gluten free self-raising flour
  • 3 tbsp milk
Method:

Mix the oil with the sugar, the eggs and the almond essence. Fold in ground almonds and flour, then stir in the milk. Turn the mixture into a greased and lined 900g loaf tin. Cook in a preheated oven (170C) for 1 hour or until golden and firm to the touch.

www.meandmyibs.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment