Wednesday 11 September 2013

Gluten & Dairy Free Vanilla Cookies

I just read an article from the "Naturally Good Health" magazine about gluten free products. In it Dr Hart says "... methyl cellulose (E461) is used to add fibre and bulk to gluten-free breads and as a thickener in dairy-free ice creams, but this compound is indigestible and can cause gut symptoms."

Now, that is something I didn't know! I have started checking the ingredients on pre-packed gluten free breads and nearly all of them seem to have methyl cellulose. Something else I have to watch out for...


On another note this recipe comes from a free app called "Olympia Recipe Collection: gluten free *dairy free * low fat* low fructose" - Delicious Desserts.

It doesn't have a lot of recipes and I find it a little difficult to read on my mobile, maybe the layout works well for a tablet but I am constantly zooming and adjusting the picture on my phone, which it's a bit annoying. Nevertheless the recipes seem easy and based on the Low FODMAP diet. This is the first one I have tried so far and I have to admit I didn't follow the method shown. I just wanted something sweet, fast, so I tossed all the ingredients in my food processor and the cookies came out lovely. I made 20.

Ingredients:
  • 100g dairy free spread
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C. Beat all the ingredients in a food processor until mixed. With your hands wet roll the dough into little balls and place onto 2 baking trays lined with baking paper, leaving some room for the cookies to expand. Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden brown. Cookies will harden when cooled.




 www.meandmyibs2.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment