Friday 21 December 2012

Christmas Drinks: Spiced Apple Juice and Mulled Wine

I threw a little "mince pie" party last week where I served these festive drinks. I don't think they fit into the Low FODMAP diet but they were mainly for the guests. I did try the hot apple juice and I had two small glasses of mulled wine without any tummy upsets.

I made the "mulled" apple juice for the drivers but although people complimented it I had apple juice leftover and I run out of mulled wine!

SPICED APPLE JUICE

Ingredients:
  • 1 litre apple juice (ideally not from concentrate)
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3 cloves
  • strips of orange peel
  • sugar to taste
Method:

Simmer the apple juice with the strips of orange peel, cinnamon stick and cloves for 10 minutes. Sweeten to taste.

MULLED WINE
 
Ingredients:
  • 1x75cl bottle light red wine (I used a light Merlot, claret is supposed to be good too)
  • little freshly grated nutmeg
  • 100g light muscovado sugar
  • 2 oranges, zest pared, juice squeezed from one, the other cut into chunks
  • 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
  • 1 apple, quartered, cored and thickly sliced
Method:

Put the sugar, the orange zest, juice and chunks, cinnamon and nutmeg in a pan with 300ml water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the spices, then add the wine and apple slices and bring to a simmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment