Wednesday 14 March 2012

Cravings



I had a really hard time with cravings last week. I was very good until the weekend when I had some pork chops coated with a lemon sauce from my local butcher. They tasted delicious but was it worth the suffering afterwards? My stomach got really bloated nearly straight away and continued bloated the following day when I spent the morning in the bathroom. The bloating subsided gradually but it left me feeling tired for nearly three days.

The thing is I thought I was being good... I had being craving take-aways for a few days and this seemed like a good compromise. And yet I have been avoiding anything with coatings and sauces since I started this diet and trying to always make my own. It didn't even have any listed ingredients, what was I thinking? I wasn't I guess, I was feeling better and I didn't feel like watching my diet.

I miss dairy. A lot. I love creamy sauces, cream, yogurts and cheese. Specially cheese. It wasn't so hard when I was eating soya. There are soya substitutes for everything, I could have my creamy sauces, yogurts, custards... By the way soya is in everything! Try and find gluten free breads, cakes or dairy free treats on the supermarket shelves that don't contain soya . Even normal sliced bread has soya flour in it.

I don't want to eat soya just because as a legume is a FODMAP food and can impair digestion but because I have read so much bad press about it. Apparently soya beans are only fit for human consumption in their fermented form and their hormone-like molecules seem to have an adverse effect on children's growth (which makes me wary of giving my son bread containing soya flour but he doesn't like the texture of gluten free bread).

Anyway, I think this weekend I got a little reminder of the reasons why I'm following this diet. I feel better on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment